[OSGeo-Discuss] Sol Katz Award Nomination procedure (was Nomination for Venkatesh Raghavan)

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Tue Sep 18 12:34:08 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> While I am all for openness in general, I share Howard's concerns in this
> specific case and think we should continue with private nominations.

Agreed (for what is worth). It would be sad if we started seeing sorts of
"mass voting" against
a nomination thread, mostly because it would look a lot like a political
election
(my idea of the Soul Katz Award is that OSGeo is looking for an excellence
which is
not necessarily the one of just being popular, thought of course
strong commitment
in the community has that "side effect")

However... maybe someone should push the OSGeo community to send private
nominations more?
I have no idea, no raw data, but in the years I have had the impression
that the
importance of nomination period could be stressed more, thus getting more
nominations and as a result a better sampling from the community.

Just rambling here, don't take me too seriously :-p

Cheers
Andrea

--
==