[OSGeo-Discuss] African universities on google maps

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 06:09:20 PDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:49:21 +0100
Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> This just disturbed me:
>
> http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsworld.php?id=694668
>
> "NAIROBI, Sept 14 (BERNAMA-NNN-KBC) -- Students from more than 90
> universities in 12 sub-Saharan African countries have come together
> for a two-week mapping exercise to put their university campuses and
> surrounding areas on Google Map."
>
>  Are we all now shouting "Why not OpenStreetMap?" at our screens?
> Maybe the data can be used in OSM as well, I'm not sure what T&Cs are
> imposed on user-supplied Google Map data...

From my understanding of Google Maps TOS
http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

it is forbidden to (2b) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell,
assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or
Content available to third parties, and (2g) use the Products to create
a database of places or other local listings information.

So I would say that is impossible to take the user contribted data from
Google Maps and import them into OSM. The alternative is to do the
mapping again in OSM...

Best,

Anne
--