[OSGeo-Discuss] African universities on google maps

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Sep 21 09:50:57 PDT 2012

On 9/21/2012 9:09 AM, Anne Ghisla wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:49:21 +0100
> Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> This just disturbed me:
>>
>> http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsworld.php?id=694668
>>
>> "NAIROBI, Sept 14 (BERNAMA-NNN-KBC) -- Students from more than 90
>> universities in 12 sub-Saharan African countries have come together
>> for a two-week mapping exercise to put their university campuses and
>> surrounding areas on Google Map."
>>
>>   Are we all now shouting "Why not OpenStreetMap?" at our screens?
>> Maybe the data can be used in OSM as well, I'm not sure what T&Cs are
>> imposed on user-supplied Google Map data...
>
>  From my understanding of Google Maps TOS
> http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html
>
> it is forbidden to (2b) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell,
> assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or
> Content available to third parties, and (2g) use the Products to create
> a database of places or other local listings information.
>
> So I would say that is impossible to take the user contribted data from
> Google Maps and import them into OSM. The alternative is to do the
> mapping again in OSM...

Thank maybe the ideal situation is for them to add their tracks to OSM
maps first and then add their tracks to google maps. Since it "their"
tracks, I do not think they loose ownership by contributing them to a
project, the they may loose ownership of the data "IN" the project that
they contributed to and therefore may not be able to use the data as
reference out of the contributed project.

IANAL, but that would be my take on it.

-Steve