[OSGeo-Discuss] African universities on google maps

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 21 06:26:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my understanding of Google Maps TOS
> http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html
>
> it is forbidden to (2b) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell,
> assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or
> Content available to third parties, and (2g) use the Products to create
> a database of places or other local listings information.
>
> So I would say that is impossible to take the user contribted data from
> Google Maps and import them into OSM. The alternative is to do the
> mapping again in OSM...

 What's not clear is whether the user-contributed data has been
incorporated into Google Maps just like any other content (with the
collectors presumably losing rights on it) or if they've put it into
"My Maps" or similar, in which case one hopes they do still have
rights over it.

 I'm wondering if OSGeo and OpenStreetMap should be capitalising on
all the Apple mapping news going on now.

 Barry