[OSGeo-Discuss] [Live-demo] Proposal: OSGeo home page to link to OSGeo-Live Project Overviews

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 20:45:17 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Cameron wrote:
> OSGeo Web Committee,
> Currently, there are a list of OSGeo projects at http://osgeo.org,
> most of which link to an
>  OSGeo page describing the project (eg http://www.osgeo.org/deegree). Unfortunately, these
> OSGeo Project pages are not being maintained.
>
> I propose that instead the list should link to the OSGeo
> Live Project Overviews, such as: http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/deegree_overview.html

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, just
to note that in the past months I've been pointing to the
live.osgeo.org overview pages when mentioning a project to
someone, in the same way that one might link to wikipedia
when describing some thing or another. I think the live dvd
overview pages fill that role quite nicely, and as Cameron
mentioned they're kept reasonably up to date.

maybe some apache server alias magic could cleanse the url
strings to make it look like you are still at
 http://www.osgeo.org/${project}_overview.html,
if anyone cares about that?

fwiw looking at http://www.osgeo.org/grass, I don't see much
there that would go out of date very quickly or is calling
out to be replaced by the live disc's overview page.
Maybe other pages are lacking. Care to name names so we can
fix them?

how do you propose to deal with osgeo projects which are not
on the live disc for some reason or another? (and that list
of installed packages changes with time)

> These Project Overviews are updated every 6 months as part
> of the OSGeo-Live build process, and are written in a
> consistent manner, with OSGeo branding.
>
> Note: A secondary option could be to link to the Project's
> home page instead. I suggest that links to OSGeo-Live
> Project Overviews are preferable due to the consistent
> layout of the Project Overviews.

either way, I'd stay with linking to a consistent summary page
rather than the home pages directly, when the purpose of the
link is to describe the project. (instead of say when the
purpose is to download the software binaries in as few clicks
as possible)

best,
Hamish