[OSGeo-Discuss] Summary of OGC Activity

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 08:14:04 PDT 2013

Hello all,

you have nicely allowed me to use one of the OSGeo membership slots for
OGC. As part of that, I am required to submit a report to you on OGC
activity, or, really, on my activity at the OGC. Since my activity at
the OGC is coming to an end, I submit this closing report to all of you.

The OGC is continuing in much the same way with a major new
interoperability testbed starting up, new standards up for a vote,
proposed standards coming up for discussion and comment, and a TC
meeting planned for late September just outside Rome. Additionally,
there is some activity attempting to identify and propose solutions for
some of the issues with the OGC today.

The 10th iteration of the OGC interoperability testbed has been announced:
   http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/initiatives/ows-10.
The RFQ/CFP is available at
   http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/103.
A quickstart guide is
   http://www.opengeospatial.org/pub/www/ows10/rfq/quickstart.html

Several standards are undergoing adoption votes including OpenMI version
2.0 and the CRS extension to WCS. There has been no general discussion
about either of these on the TC Discussion list so I presume they will
be adopted when the vote closes.

WCS continues its incredible progress driven by the inexhaustible
productivity of Peter Baumann. I am less aware of the work of other
groups like catalog, processing services, feature services and
observation services. There is ongoing work on SPARQL and on the
semantic web.

The PubSub standards working group feel they are close to releasing
their draft specification for comment, first inside the OGC and then to
the public. The group is motivated by work on the next generation US Air
Traffic Control system and the need for actors to get regular updates,
say on weather in a flight corridor, over a specific period of time. The
specification provides a different messaging pattern from the standard
request-response pattern used by most OGC web services. The idea is that
some client could subscribe some recipient to a publication stream for a
period of time. They decided that subscriptions should be temporary and
expire. They also decided (but may be reconsidering) that the service
should be setup as a new, separate 'PubSub Service' rather than being an
extension to existing services. They have developed ways for the service
to provide its capabilities including defining its publication offerings
and any supported filtering system for the published messages. I have
worked with that group fairly intensely these past few months, trying to
help them with their writeup (introductory material) and their
injunctions. I think they have understood my ideas and now will have to
integrate what of those they find useful. Hopefully, that document will
be released for comment soon and for public comment thereafter because
it may interest some of you.

The MetOcean folk must be very close to final publication of their
recommendations on the use of "time" and "elevation" in OGC web
services. Folk from several national meteorological agencies arrived a
few years ago wanting to serve the output of their general circulation
models as WMS layers. However, the results of any particular parameter,
say air temperature or wind speed, are available in many different
'dimensions': according to the moment being predicted, according to the
moment the model run stopped accepting input data, according to the last
moment when this data should be used for some purpose, and at various
heights in the air column measured in multiple different ways. Since
they all use slightly different language to discuss these 'dimensions'
they needed to get on the same page semantically and linguistically and,
in particular, agree how to expose their data in a way that would work
for each of them, a way that they all could share, and a way that would
work for regular folk without special knowledge (i.e. with sane
defaults). They have started that standardization work by defining rules
for the use of the dimensions called 'TIME' and 'ELEVATION' in WMS. I
have worked with them intensely this past year helping them better
organize their paper, and better express their requirements. As a result
we stumbled on a way to organize their work systematically which helps
give them confidence that they have tackled most major issues. They
sound happy with the results of their recent work. That document should
be officially published this year. You can follow the work of the group
on their public wiki:
   http://external.opengis.org/twiki_public/MetOceanDWG

The Web Map Service (WMS) standards working group has lost its steam and
its forwards momentum. There are a few outstanding issues on WMTS (Web
Map Tile service) that might be resolved in the next while. However, the
working group is down to three people attending regular meetings and no
progress being made. We recently tried to revive regular meetings again
and heard feedback from some NASA folk providing lots of earth surface
imagery. Then we worked through my proposal for an abstract fundamental
map model to underlie our work on WMS 2.0 and its future extensions.
However, we have not met again since then and with the fall work load
arriving I am not hopeful that much work will get done going forwards. I
expect the group will eventually dissolve. Fortunately, all the work we
have done is up on a wiki so it should be easy for some future effort to
review our work and decisions.

My work on WMS 2.0 has failed. I have spent the past two or three years
working intensely on a fully defined, fully testable, fully modular WMS.
This work was motivated by the outstanding change requests pointing out
issues with WMS 1.3.0 in its handling of languages, in its handling of
dimensions, in its handling of axis-order issues, in its lack of a fully
defined XML message form, and in its inability to scale for the needs of
the meteorology community. The work was also motivated by new rules at
the OGC that our standards should be written more clearly, with all
injunctions visibly isolated, written against a specific 'target',
accompanied by tests (so that only injunctions which can actually be
tested are made), and grouped into coherent modules of injunctions. I
was motivated by a vision of how to write better standards, how to fully
solve issues all the way down to their theoretical foundations, and how
to build OGC Services in general which are well written, comprehensible,
and unambiguous. I also felt that if we required the use of something,
say PNG, we ought to at least read that specification, so I have read
intensely fourty odd standards of the IETF, the W3C, ISO and other
organizations. The work turned out to be huge: starting with a large
ambition, it soon spread out to become overwhelming. Also, I started
with an active group and presumed I would get help from others at the
OGC along the way but, unfortunately, SWG member activity dwindled to
nothing and other groups at the OGC did not provide the support I needed.

Despite that, I made a lot of progress. I rewrote the OGC standard on
how to write standards into a coherent whole whose injunctions and tests
helped me write better drafts. (That is pending review indefinitely
because, despite being part of the OGC rules for new standards, there is
no one to read it and accept it as a new version.) I developed a new
model of spatial referencing based on an explicit description of all the
semantic elements required to spatially cross-reference positions on two
different objects. I then used that semantic model to analyze the
current OGC abstract model and the OGC data model and data structures
for referencing information (ISO 19111). That analysis showed that the
current model fails to correctly define or express a 'datum' and is
confused about how to define a coordinate system. This does not matter
in practice because most of the time these are not needed in GIS
systems, which need intra-crs transforms instead. However, it does
matter for imagery and I showed how we should fix it and fixed it for
PNG. (I even made an initial pass at a GeoPNG specification.) I
developed an abstract model of OGC Services which considers a service as
offering an endpoint over some transport system which accepts messages
which have an encoding, a form, and a semantic model. This service model
means that the injunctions made of the service can all be about how it
recognizes and handles those messages. Finally, I developed an abstract
model of maps which would eventually allow us to deal with movies and
slices through the atmosphere and map decorations and piece-wise
projections but which, at first, would quickly simplify down to the
layer stack model of current WMS. These abstract models all fed my work
defining injunctions for the use of encodings, message forms, and
service behaviour. For the encodings,  I defined a restricted form of
UTF-8 that adopted UTF-8 suggestions as requirements and I defined
several profiles of common image formats (PNG, TIFF, GeoTIFF, ...) which
serve primarily to remove ambiguity about the initial 'orientation' of
the image from which spatial referencing will happen. For the message
forms, I defined a use of text restricted to non-problematic UCS code
points, defined a Key-Value form based on a formal ABNF grammar and its
expression as either part of the URL <query> element or as a text file,
and also defined three different 'forms' of XML: 'usable xml', 'bindable
xml' and 'canonical xml' which might be used in different realms by WMS
or its extensions. For the message semantics, I developed a Map Request
model based on the map model I discussed earlier and worked to formalize
some of the semantics of core OGC messages like the common XML based
exception report. Finally, I tackled the behaviour of services starting
with a lot of work trying to find a minimal set of proper behaviour in
the handling of HTTP for OGC web services to address the network
scalability issues at the heart of HTTP/1.1 without putting too much
work on the shoulders of implementations. We have now just gotten to the
'fun' stuff, that is the proper behaviour of a Map Service itself in the
handling of map requests. One of the great difficulties of all this work
was figuring out how all the formal injunctions could properly fit one
on top of the other, starting with abstract rules for generic services
and working through more and more concrete versions of the services.
Anyhow, this was a fair bit of work and I got really far. However,
without support, feedback, or even encouragement, and with every step
along the way just broken enough that it needed fixing, it was too much
for me to bring this work to completion. It will be for the next person
to try to make progress on WMS, either within the OGC or outside it.

Finally, the OGC has embarked on a effort to take stock and address
issues in its structure, its activities, and its understanding of
itself. This self-reflection grew out of the recent fiasco that exploded
all the way to this OSGeo list regarding the attempt to take the ESRI
GeoServices specification and develop it into an OGC Standard. Someone
at the OGC, the Board of Directors and/or Staff, decided to launch a
formal review and called it the 'Ideas 4 OGC' effort. I joined that
effort and pitched in a lot of the early content you will find on the
public wiki
     http://external.opengeospatial.org/twiki_public/Ideas4OGC
and started some discussions, initially on the new TC-Discuss list, and
then on the list of this particular effort. The group is just now
starting to get organized and start actual work on the issues. The goal
is to produce a report by the end of September presenting these issues
to 'the OGC' and suggesting possible avenues for the resolution of the
issues. Unfortunately, you cannot follow the work because the group has
decided to switch to an internal wiki partly due to some folk not being
allowed by their government employers to talk to the public. (Are you in
deep trouble when you sacrifice transparency in order to have a frank
discussion about the lack of transparency?) I pitched in a bunch of
issues and suggestions for their resolution so the OGC has material that
it could tackle if it decides it wants to. However, I am not interested
in getting the OGC to 'want to' or pushing to get some of these fairly
serious issues tackled. The biggest issue seems to me a lack of
communication so that no one knows what the different responsible
committees have been doing. A second major issue is that there is no
oversight so that no one can or does refocus the work of anyone else for
the benefit of the whole. My overall conclusion is that the Board of
Directors needs to step up and do its directing work. Personally, I
doubt I will be able to foster the changes needed to get the OGC working
effectively writing clear standards, building well architectured
systems, or running effective services. I think I have done what I could
in the process and now it is for others to see it through. Overall, I am
not hopeful that the OGC is institutionally capable of fixing itself and
keeping itself fixed. However, the OGC will keep doing useful, if less
than stellar, work for a long time in its current state.

So that is a personal take on the OGC and my activities there these past
few months.

I have now resigned my membership in the OGC so there is another slot
open if any of you can be and want to be individual members of the OGC.
Thanks again for letting me use one of the OSGeo membership slots at the
OGC,

cheers,
   ~adrian