[OSGeo-Discuss] About "Interactive Map" patent application by Apple Inc.

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Dec 21 12:51:15 PST 2013

Click on two points to display a route, touch two points to display a route - this is natural progression from mouse based hardware to touch screen mode. There should not be any patent there, it is just a generic change in pointing device.

Numerous web apps (& mapping portals) dim the background for popups & other "foreground" info - hopefully nothing new or patentable there.

My concern is not this has been applied for, but that someone presumeably believes such minor adaptations are patentable under US law.

Hopefully not - coming from a country which recently legislated software as not patentable.

Shock, horror - could OSGEO join with ESRI to contest this? A comparable case a few years ago in New Zealand created a very unusual set of bedfellows - who successfully contested the patent, at a cost substantially cheaper than pursuing individual cases against it. See:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=3576578

Cheers,

  Brent Wood