[OSGeo-Discuss] About "Interactive Map" patent application by Apple Inc.

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Dec 21 15:01:59 PST 2013

Hi Brent,

On 21 December 2013 21:55, Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com> wrote:

> - they are not patenting the touchscreen as a new patentable innovation,
> they are patenting the adaptation of a single existing operation to the new
> technology.

Yes, I understand and the difference is clear here, during our conversation,
but the clarity disappears as soon as we switch to the twisted reality
of patents,
where lawyer militants are willing to fight even for unreal or hopeless cases.

My point is, we won't be able to prove X is an extension of existing Y
and X is not a new unique invention.

Let's assume patents in mathematics are allowed and Brahmagupta
obtained one for arithmetic methods; then al-Khwarizmi makes submission
to patent algebra: a new technology for old subject - numbers.
Now we have technology to work "with numbers" vs one to work "about
numbers" [1],
I bet lawyers would love such case arguing that the latter is not
a new technology, but adaptation of the former.

[1] http://profkeithdevlin.org/2011/11/20/what-is-algebra/

Regardless, perhaps, Apple is realising it is close to collapse ;-)
as per the theory that

"(...) continuous cycle of innovation that is necessary in
order to sustain growth and avoid collapse. The catch, however, to this
is that you have to innovate faster and faster and faster." [2]

[2] http://www.ted.com/talks/geoffrey_west_the_surprising_math_of_cities_and_corporations.html

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net