[OSGeo-Discuss] About "Interactive Map" patent application by Apple Inc.

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Dec 21 13:55:45 PST 2013

Hi Mateusz,

- they are not patenting the touchscreen as a new patentable innovation, they are patenting the adaptation of a single existing operation to the new technology.

Perhaps a better analogy would be patenting the use of the word "start" under voice controlled devices to turn on.

Yes - OSGeo :-) But not a protest about the application, but a reasoned contesting of the application with prior art & legally relevant reasons for why the patent application is invalid. I'm not that familiar with US patent law, but have the general impression that he who has the best lawyers wins, & he who has the most $$ has the best lawyers.

A great pity Groklaw is no more.

Seasons greetings to all!

Brent Wood