[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G North America - Blind voting [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Fawcett, David (MPCA) David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Thu Jan 17 14:04:43 PST 2013

The Program Committee had a healthy discussion about the pros and cons of structuring the community review process so that presentations are evaluated solely on the title and abstract description.  We decided as a group that the potential positives outweighed the potential negatives.

The community review process is an important part of the selection of presenters, but it is not the only input.  The Program Committee will use that data along with their own review of the abstracts, knowledge of the speakers, the number of presentation slots, expected makeup of the registrants, and other factors to put together the best program that we can for FOSS4G NA 2013.

It would actually be interesting if we could test to see if this review methodology had any effect on who submitted abstracts.  That may best be accomplished by surveying the people who submit them.

We haven't discussed it as a committee, but I personally don't think that it is productive to publish the results of the community review and will push to not do that.  At the same time, if someone has concerns about how decisions are made, they should talk to us.  The Program Committee is made up of some great people who represent various parts of the FOSS4G community.

We are working hard, and our only agenda is to make this the best FOSS4G event ever.  If anyone feels that they have a perspective that is missing from the committee, we would be happy to have them join the committee.

David.