[OSGeo-Discuss] Spectal librairies integrated in any GFOSS?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Fri Jan 18 02:02:26 PST 2013

Dear OSGeo community,

I have seen several times, as you have probably done many more than myself,
that there are projects-to-apply for, which, simply put, are profiling specific
Geospatial and Remote Sensing capable applications.

An example _was_ an open international call for a project concerning "(Early)
Warning and Mitigating of (Forest) Fires" in Greece [1].

For example, among the obligatory points to be fulfilled by a geospatial
toolbox, as asked in this specific tender, there is one about "integrated
spectral librairies".

This is clearly profiling, if I am not wrong, the ERDAS Imagine commercial and
proprietary software.  From ERDAS' manual "Spectral Analysis" [1], section
"Spectrum Libraries":

"...efforts have been
made over the past decade to compile databases, termed Spectral
Libraries, of the spectra of known materials (Clark et al. 1993b)."

and

sub-section "Archive Libraries":

"Several such Spectrum Libraries are included in the IMAGINE
Spectral Analysis software package. "

and

"...The USGS and JPL mineral libraries (Grove et al. 1992)...", "...Johns
Hopkins spectrum libraries
(dominantly mid-infrared wavelengths)...", "...the SPECMIN Spectrum Library
series of minerals and geologic materials..."

and more.

(
let aside the fact that I question myself who exactly in the Fire Fighting
Service will use such a feature (except of advanced analysts in rare
occasions?) and for what reason exactly -- active fire detection, burned area
mapping etc., will not suffer from the absence of such a feature!
)

the question is:

is there any GFOSS that integrates or can access easily such libraries --
thinking from an end-user perspective?

Thank you, Nikos

---
[1] search for "spectral libraries erdas" or access the manual here:
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=spectral%20libraries%20erdas&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uwf.edu%2Fgis%2Fmanuals%2FSpectralAnalysis.pdf&ei=BRL5UPbRAZKa1AWjmIDYCg&usg=AFQjCNFEPQi0pJRUkCxZU9kJ1Qy0_6ymTg>

[2] (in Greek)
<http://www.ktpae.gr/index.php?option=com_ktpconsultations&task=Details&id=177>