[OSGeo-Discuss] GRASS community sprint in Genova, Feb 2nd to Feb 9th, 2013

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jan 24 12:09:41 PST 2013

Dear OSGeo community,

the GRASS GIS community sprint starts next weekend.  For those who don't know
the details yet, please have a look at the GRASS-Wiki:

<http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Genova_2013>.

Herewith, I share some personal thoughts.  Please, consider to join the sprint
if you have the option to do so.  If you live in a neighbouring country, try
to squeeze your time and pay a visit in Genoa.  Such gatherings, even more for
end users, as myself, are unique, invaluable in reality.

Don't you ever hesitate if you would like to join -- embrace the event!

>From my very user point of view, given the current participation plan, I 'll
have the opportunity to:

- meet freeriders Markus Neteler, Massimiliano Canata, Paolo Cavalini

- meet very important hackers like Martin Landa, Luca Delucchi, Margherita Di
Leo, Anna Kratochvilova, Anne Ghisla and Vaclav Petras

- get to know more on GRASS-GIS in action with Luca Casagrande

- get excited and boost-up python skills by drinking some of  Pietro's
(Zambelli) pythonian-magic filter! -- Oh yes, if you ever have a feeling like
"hmm, I want to do it with python but don't know where to begin" joining
Pietro's sessions is the ticket ;-)

- chat with power user Nikos Ves (yes, while traveling together :-p)

- meet other people that do quite interesting stuff

- sneak into mesmerising tricks performed by Markus Metz, Yann Chemin -- those
are magicians, not hackers - period.

I wish I could see and talk to more of these epic giants who contribute in one
way or another into the GRASS GIS project.

There is still time. Spread the word around, join the meeting.

Best, Nikos :D