[OSGeo-Discuss] Call for Papers for FOSS4G 2013 Academic Track

Andy Turner A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 04:21:00 PST 2013

Hi,

There are many ways to do this.

In my experience some academic conferences that have peer reviewed outputs have developed the following Modus Operandi (I don't know how normal this is):
1. Abstracts and/or Modified Abstracts or Full Papers (and sometimes Posters) are published in Conference Proceedings (each having been selected based on a submitted Abstract).
2. A selection of Full Papers are then invited to be submitted for review to a journal special issue. (This sometimes requires that they are reformatted.) Only those that then get through a peer review process are then published in the peer reviewed journal special issue.

An academic, should get credit for:
1. Having an Abstract accepted and presenting a Full Paper or Poster. (Posters tend to be worth less in some respects, but they are still good. Having something in the Conference Proceedings is good even if a presentation at the conference does not happen, though it is usually expected that a presentation of some form is made at the event.)
2. Getting an article published in a peer reviewed journal special issue.

I have had articles rejected at the final stage which is a pain, as is not being invited to submit a Full Paper to the special issue review process. However, a rejected article can be published online and for additional credit by any academic so long as it has evolved sufficiently from what made it into the proceedings. Peer reviews of rejected articles although rejections can be useful in any case. Contributors may decide to re-submit an article for peer review elsewhere if that seems appropriate.

FWIW, I think that adding the step of inviting and reviewing Abstracts is a good one. If this is done far enough in advance then folk can outline what they plan to do before doing it. There is a danger though with this, that come the event, not so much progress has been made and there is little to present. To avoid this, some conferences only allow submission of work that has been or is largely completed, but this becomes a less attractive option with increasing time from the Abstract submission/decision date and the date of the event/date when Modified Abstracts or Full Papers are due.

One further point is that IMHO, the more open the review process is, the better.

HTH

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/