[OSGeo-Discuss] End the vote!

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:17:06 PDT 2013

Hi Adrian and Jeff,
Your points are very similar to those raised in April -> June 2012 [1]
when discussing the concept of "OSGeo Advocate" (previously referred to
as "OSGeo Ambassador").

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2012-May/thread.html

There is a tension between people wishing an exclusive "label" or
"badge" which easily identifies a level of expertise and community
recognition, verses a desire to be inclusive of everyone who applies.

If our acceptance criteria is "An OSGeo Charter member is anyone who
wishes to be one", then the value of Charter membership is devalued,
possibly leading to the point where people don't think it is worth applying.

In order to create a badge of prestige, that people will wish to
associate with, there needs to be a test, which implies that some people
will need to be rejected if they do not pass the test. (Voting for
membership is one form of testing, being a contributor to an Open Source
project could be another test).

After months of discussion, I think we created a balance  of
inclusiveness and prestige by defining a range of labels which OSGeo
members can associate with.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Understanding_OSGeo_roles

  Understanding OSGeo roles

Below is an explanation of roles which Advocates might have been
involved in as part of OSGeo:

        OSGeo board.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_board.png>OSGeo
        exboard.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_exboard.png>OSGeo Board
        Members

    We only have 9 active OSGeo board members in the world, which have
    been peer selected based upon their outstanding leadership in the
    greater OSGeo community.

        OSGeo charter.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_charter.png>OSGeo Charter
        Members

    Charter membership is obtained through a strongly contested
    selection process. Members tend to be developers and leaders in one
    or more OSGeo projects, and/or OSGeo business leaders, and have a
    deep understanding in many of the OSGeo projects and principles of
    Open Source.

        SolKatz.png <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:SolKatz.png>Sol
        Katz Award

Every year, OSGeo presents the prestigiousSol Katz Award
<http://www.osgeo.org/solkatz>to one individual who has demonstrated
leadership and contributed significantly to advance open source ideals
in the geospatial realm.

        OSGeo chair.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_chair.png>OSGeo psc.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_psc.png>Voted position in
        an OSGeo community

    These people hold a position of responsibility within one of the
    OSGeo sub-communities. This may be a chair of an OSGeo committee or
    board member of a Regional Chapter, or a member of a project's
    Project Steering Committee (PSC).

        OSGeo coder.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_coder.png>OSGeo
        committee.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_committee.png>Developers
        and Committee Members

    This is where the real work gets done developing and coordinating
    development of OSGeo Software.

        OSGeo user.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_user.png>OSGeo Community
        Members

    These people are actively involved in one or more OSGeo communities,
    acting as practitioners, users, promoters or supporters of OSGeo
    software. These people tend to have a practical understanding about
    how OSGeo software works.

        OSGeo translate.png
        <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGeo_translate.png>OSGeo
        Translators

    These people have translated documentation for OSGeo-Live, and/or
    OSGeo projects. They usually have an established understanding of
    OSGeo topics and can present them in local languages.