[OSGeo-Discuss] The costs of your great productivity [was: ... is being discussed on slashdot]

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 05:09:39 PDT 2013

Hey Peter,

Congratulations on all the work you have been doing. You are a powerhouse!

However, a word of caution in your work (that I have been meaning to
raise with you for a while now).

Your speed means that you are working in a bit of a vacuum. There are
not enough of us doing the serious analytic work at the OGC to ensure
that all the stuff you are creating has been fully reviewed. That means
there is little reason to think that it will be harmonizable in the
future. Perhaps that is not of great concern right now, I don't know.
But the less our visions align the harder harmonization will eventually
be. So you are building rapidly a complex structure that works for you
and your users which is fantastic. Unfortunately, there is nothing that
is keeping us working on parallel tracks so it is likely that your
complex structure and that of others look completely different and
address completely different interaction mechanisms.

For instance, just yesterday I took a first look at your CRS Name Type
Spec. and grew more concerned that I have been. I hope someday to make a
serious review of it but have other priorities. So today, I don't even
understand why it has that strange name. However, I *do know* that CRSs
at the OGC are mis-designed. They work fine because essentially
everything is tied to WGS84 but they are not semantically correctly
structured which impacts other specs like Geometry. It does not look
like you are even aware of this from my quick glance at the standard
yesterday. Furthermore, the parameterized CRS stuff seems like it is
going to need work. But maybe not, I won't know until I take a few days
to read it all very closely to see what it is trying to do and how well
it succeeds at that and what it does not do and ... , something that
won't happen anytime soon. So, in working ahead so effectively, you are
also loosing touch with others of us, or at least with me, who cannot
track all your work. That's a tradeoff of your great productivity!

As another example, you are forging ahead on REST. Maybe. As you well
know, everyone has a different idea what that is and, unfortunately,
also a different idea of what the OGC should be standardizing. I can see
that designing one pattern of use of HTTP operations and one particular
set of URL templates is relatively easy. However, it seems to be exactly
what we should not be doing for a long term robust, flexible spatial
data infrastructure. My question on that front got zero response from
the TC recently so I am not sure we are even playing the same game when
we are thinking about REST. I guess we'll just have to live with that,
and fix the pieces eventually. However, I do get the sense that everyone
had decided to work in their own silos since at least there we are
minimally productive. We find our own solutions that 'work for us' and
avoid doing the shitty hard work to keep getting on the same page. That
is going to cost us in the end.

The end result will probably be that the work of designing a harmonious
suite of simple geospatial functionality handling coverages (both grid
and feature based), processes, searches, and visualizations will end up
being way harder than it should be and may never happen. If we were
working harmoniously such a service would be a page long profile joining
together a conformance class from each service. But we are not.

So keep up the great work since you are one of the great fires of
productivity at the OGC. However, do be aware that the harmonization
work will not vanish simply because we decide to ignore if for now.

cheers,
   ~adrian

PS This of course does not offer any way forwards, so does not give you
any real advice which sucks. Also, my experience with 'words of caution'
is that they are universally ignored perhaps because they are unusable.
Nonetheless, this is something I have been thinking of mentioning to you
for a while so now I have. cheers.