[OSGeo-Discuss] inspire conference 2013

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 00:14:45 PST 2013

Hi all,

according to [1], this year's INSPIRE conference will be between 23-27
of June.

I believe, many of you already submitted the paper

	NOTE: Deadlines: March 15, 2013 Deadline for submitting paper
	and workshops proposals (extension given from March 1)
	March 29 2013 Deadline for submitting poster proposals

I would like to try to get there and submit some paper about OSGeo
activities towards INSPIRE.

As I understand, there are as much as none  official activities of OSGeo
or there were very few so far. INSPIRE is concerns only EU member
states, thought in Denver 2011 I had feeling, that USA (and other)
people are interested in.

Most of the OSGeo projects are dealing with INSPIRE rules somehow.
Various questions have been raised in mailing lists and several
INSPIRE-specific patches have been submitted to our projects, so that
the software, we are working on/with can be used in INSPIRE environment.
I hope, that this brings some new interoperability features back to the
whole world's community.

INSPIRE isn't the activity focused on software developers. Usually
software users - public administration - are dealing with it. I would
like to submit paper to the conference, which would summarize all the
recent (actual) activities of OSGeo (projects) towards INSPIRE. Concrete
implementations with help of OSGeo software, patches taken. Plans for
the future in various projects (patches to be accepted, ...). The
message of the presentation should be: "OSGeo projects are aware of
INSPIRE and they are working towards it's implementation".

We already have WIKI page about this, which was last edited nearly year
ago [3]. In 2010, Open Source mashup took place at the conference and
other activities/presentations were already submitted and presented at
various events.

It would be good, if people would have a look at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/INSPIRE and update it, if needed . I'm sure,
some more stuff was implemented in various software projects, something
happened during last year. Maybe someone else already submitted some
paper about Open Source (OSGeo) project and INSPIRE (I'm sure, Jeroen
submitted at least one paper and workshop)? Let's coordinate a bit at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/INSPIRE_conference_2013 [4].

Do you consider this activity useful?

Jachym

[1] http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.cfm/newsid/10901