[OSGeo-Discuss] Free Developer Slots at FOSS4G events: [was RE: FW: [Board] OSGeo Board Priorities]

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 03:03:12 PST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

>> So how many lower-rate slots would that require? We've got 17
>> official projects and 7 incubating projects according to the home
>> page summary. With this year's rates (full 350 £, student 240 £)
>> and only 2 developers per project it could account for a difference
>> up to 110 £ * 48 = 5280 £. Not terrible after all.
>
> I thnk it's far less than that. Hopefully this will bring people that
> otherwise would not come, so no net cost (and a lot more value to the
> conference, and a more developer friendly attitude).

Given the recent strategic message, I don't think its in the local
FOSS4G committee's role to provide bursaries beyond the
well-established student discount - certainly not for 2013 Nottingham
anyway. If OSGEO want to do that, then they can consider it as a skim
off the conference profits. I'm sure the local committee will be glad
to point people to OSGEO bursaries from the conference web page.

 We just need to hear from OSGEO purse-holders to see if they are willing.

 I think we already have someone providing education-related
bursaries, so there's a precedent.

Barry