[OSGeo-Discuss] inspire conference 2013: help with presentation proposal

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Mar 15 04:50:43 PDT 2013

Madi,
I am pretty sure that "Members of the JRC INSPIRE Technical Committee"
is also sort of "wrong". The JRC is only the "facilitator" for the
"INSPIRE process". They are (and definitely don't *feel*)
"responsible" for INSPIRE. In the end it is the member states who are
responsible for everything and you can't get a hold of them either
because they send people to do something about INSPIRE. Then there are
the SIGs and some companies are also involved in defining the rules,
some get paid, some don't, some want to influence the process so that
they can sell their software and so on. Slippery slopes all over the
place.

- From all the quotes in this you can easily tell that definition-wise
this is a big mess. And it got me into trouble every single time in
the past ten years that I tried to interact with anybody "responsible"
for INSPIRE.

My suggestion was and is that those people who have to implement
INSPIRE finally take ownership of it. That is broadly said "INSPIRE
users". But feel free to go ahead as you think fits best.

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 15.03.2013 12:08, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf)
> <seven at arnulf.us <mailto:seven at arnulf.us>> wrote:
>
> Folks, I really like the idea of the round table but changed some
> wording to amend the expectations for it. This was mainly to the
> effect of avoiding up front misunderstanding which invariably over
> the past years lead to unnecessary friction.
>

>> Thank you for that, it sounds way better now. We don't aim to
>> create any friction but to improve the dialog, so smoothing the
>> tone was a good thing IMHO.
>

> The whole point of INSPIRE is that there is nobody singly
> responsible. It has evolved over time and through the contribution
> of the broadest set of different people from different backgrounds
> and many are not even involved any more. Therefore we cannot really
> talk to "the people responsible for INSPIRE" - there simply are
> none. To avoid having one side of the table empty I changed
> "members of the INSPIRE Technical Committee" to "users involved
> with INSPIRE". Maybe that is too broad, if so please change to
> something else.
>

>> Here maybe there was a misunderstanding. With "Members of the
>> INSPIRE Technical Committee" I meant people from JRC working on
>> the implementation of the technical rules, so if you agree I'd
>> change this in: "Members of the JRC INSPIRE Technical Committee".
>> Users involved with INSPIRE are of course welcome as well..

> To the same effect I changed "discussion" (which always results in
> one winner and one loser) to "dialog" (which means that people
> listen to each other and learn from each other).
>

>> very good.
>

> Hope this sits well with you, otherwise feel free to revert to an
> earlier version.
>
> Please note that the Wiki had a hickup when saving two conflicting
> edits, so one intermediate version is raw HTML. I tried to save
> the earlier changes, mainly adding Paolo to the list of
> contributors. Please recheck, if you edited in the past hour or
> so.
>
> Looking forward to seeing some of you at the conference.
>

>> Thanks! m
>

> Cheers, Arnulf
>
> On 14.03.2013 22:14, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>> Hi Margherita, Jachym.
>
>> Margherita, thanks for the workshop proposal draft. I will
>> review this too.
>
>> Jachym, the abstract review is done on my side. Please have a
>> look.
>
>> Regards, Angelos
>
>> On 03/14/2013 10:41 PM, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>>> Thank you Jachym. I also prepared the workshop proposal here
>>>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/INSPIRE_conference_2013#Tennis_table_match:_OSGeo_vs_INSPIRE

if you guys could also review this. And, of course, add your names and
>>> affiliations.
>>>
>>> Thanks

> -- Best regards,
>
> Margherita DI LEO Postdoctoral Researcher
>
> European Commission - DG JRC Institute for Environment and
> Sustainability (IES) Via Fermi, 2749 I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy -
> TP 261
>
> Tel. +39 0332 78 3600 margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu
> <mailto:margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu>
>
> Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and
> may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official
> position of the European Commission.

- --
Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us