[OSGeo-Discuss] Copy Left and Copyright for Geospatial software

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:34:03 PDT 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Ravi Kumar <ravivundavalli48 at yahoo.com> wrote:

​> ​
How many of the OSGeo Softwares are Copy Left and Copy Right
​
​
> Pl give a link where the rationale is explained especially for OSGeo.
> I am aware that Free Software Foundation has things explained.
> This is to a great extent true only in countries like USA where software
> can be copy righted.
> In many countries software does not come under Copyright. Example:
> India.

The above is incorrect. As per Section 13(1)(a) of the Indian Copyright
Act, 1957, copyright subsists in original literary, dramatic and musical
works:

13. Works in which copyright subsists.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section and the other provisions of
this Act, copyright shall subsist throughout India in the following classes
of works, that is to say,-

(a) original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works;

As per Section 2(o) of the (Indian) Copyright Act, 1957; literary works
include computer programmes. The exact text of the section is:

(o)
​ ​
"literary work" includes computer programmes, tables and compilations
including computer
​
 data bases ;

*
*

--
Puneet Kishor
Science and Data Policy, Creative Commons