[OSGeo-Discuss] Copy Left and Copyright for Geospatial software

K S Rajan rajan at iiit.ac.in
Thu Oct 17 22:58:31 PDT 2013

Ravi,

In India software does have copyright but is not patentable (will not go into details of why it is not patentable in India).
Copyright is automatic from the time the work is created. Also, as Puneet points out the original author does have a copyright and it can be enforced by the author if need. To be on the safe side, one can formally register the work or its extracts, and such reregistration helps in a court of law.

Pls see http://copyright.gov.in and its FAQ section.

And afaik, Open Source licenses suitably modify and make it open for use,copying and modification of the software/tool (essentially giving the four freedoms that FSF and all others talk about) and don't alter copyright.

My views are based on what I shared at a CII conclave on IP & Copyrights a few years ago.
- Rajan

--
1. Please use VRGeo.in (http://vrgeo.in) - the Collaborative Mapping Platform for Researchers and All
K S Rajan, Ph.D.

Head, Lab for Spatial Informatics,
Associate Professor,
International Institute of Information Technology
Gachibowli, Hyderabad 500032, Andhra Pradesh, India
Tel: (+91-40)6653 1276
Fax: (+91-40)6653 1413
E-mail: rajan at iiit.ac.in

GeoLocation: 17.4454 N, 78.3503 E