[OSGeo-Discuss] Inaugural webinar of ”Open Geospatial Science & Applications” webinar series on 18th October

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 09:13:00 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Arnulf Christl
<arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net> wrote:

> Having said that - do we really need a full fledged *conference*
> software to transmit a webinar? That feels a bit overblown. Even
> reveal.js has a server push version to direct slides to many people -
> and that is just JavaScript. 8-) Talk through a regular radio stream and
> receive questions through IRC, Twitter, or whatever else people throw at
> you.

 As the meme goes "Now you have three problems". How do I set up a
'regular radio stream'? (It sounds like I need to break into BBC
Manchester and hack into their FM transmitters!) Now everyone needs a
twitter login, a radio stream listener, and a feed from reveal.js. Oh,
and a shared whiteboard and desktop? Let's fire up that shared notepad
site that I've forgotten the name of too. And now everyone has
different usernames on things. That "arnulf.christl' on the notepad is
"sevenof9" on twitter and "ernest.borg9" on the radio?

 Like you, I've not used OpenMeeting. I have a vague memory of trying
to install it or something like it on a fairly old server and it just
seemed to get stuck where maven just puked out its guts trying to get
all the dependencies. But that was at least two years ago.

 But these all-in-one solutions have value as all-in-one solutions,
assuming "what you need" is a subset of "all". I'd like to see one
that Just Works (on all platforms).

> I am probably hilariously oversimplifying things but I really don't
> think we need to go webex or gotomeeting for a seminar.

 Or overcomplicating it :)

Barry