[OSGeo-Discuss] Why does OSGeo FDO Provider for SQL Server Spatial try to access the wrong database?

Nathan Deneau NATHAN.DENEAU at asu.edu
Wed Sep 18 13:00:17 PDT 2013

Yes, AutoCAD Map 3D, sorry. The login that accesses the spatial database from AutoCad Map 3D using the same FDO provider has server admin privileges so he would not receive the same error. This is a SQL Server host with many databases so the administrators will not want to grant me access beyond read access. How do I accomplish this given the following facts?

All user logins belong to the public role and cannot be removed from the public role in MS SQL Server. The public role has "VIEW ANY DATABASE" permission by default in MS SQL Server. So that means we can always expect the default behavior of a login to be able to see all databases even if that user cannot read (select) from all of those databases. I was hoping that the FDO provider would ignore any databases that it can see but not read from and simply move on to the next database in the list eventually finding any databases that the login does have permission to read and accumulating them - or at least either honor the default database of the user login or else allow an option to ignore all but a specified database.

The error in my FDO connection test seems to show that it is trying to connect to these other databases and crashes when my login does not have permissions and throws the error I included in my previous post. So I have to assume that there is a more narrow set of allowable configurations of SQL Server, the FDO provider, or Autodesk Studio (e.g. not allowed to have other databases my login can't read on the host, must change public role which potentially affects everyone else on the shared host, must share a user account with owner privileges, must specify a database for the OSGeo FDO provider for SQL Serve Spatial somewhere, must set Autodesk Studio setting somewhere to specify the one spatial database).

Thank You,

Nathan