[OSGeo-Discuss] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Sat Sep 21 03:12:46 PDT 2013

Alex,
thanks a lot for such kind of answer.

In fact what I have in mind is more to provide a "build suite", I definitely don't know how to name it.

Anyway, let say something that make you able to download this or that software and which will make sure that you will get everything required to build this specific project installed in your OSGeo4W environment. I think of cmake or mingw for instance.

I think about a tool which let you set some parameters where you can define the compiler version you want to use (or the path to the script which setup environment variables, we may also think of adding some optional command line options to this batch script (if required but, I'm pretty sure it is required).

This way, you choose one software you want to build from source from the OSGeo4W, then all the dependencies will be setup (packages in their dev versions), the required tools are setup (if not already setup as another software requirement) then the build is done from the OSGeo4W installer. Obviously, the source code should still be available after the build finished. If we can provide such a thing it means that you can apply after build finish the patches you want to apply on one software before building it again with fixes.

I think it may be a great gain of time for Lazy Developers, as I am.

I hope my answer is clear enough this time.

Best regards,

Gérald Fenoy
http://www.osgeo.org