[OSGeo-Discuss] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 15:35:10 PDT 2013

Gerald,

There are so many decisions that should be made regarding to either the
suggested directions to follow, or the technical details, which might apply
for a PSC indeed.

You've meant to prepare something for the developers (something like what
I've indended to do with the binaries at http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/)
which is probably different as what the end user would expect. Development
SDKs would support to compile all versions especially the latest
development version, while the production edition should be based on the
latest stable releases. A testing edition would probably be based on the
current development or stable branches providing daily built binaries if
possible.

Switching from one version to another might also require a policy as
upgrading a lower level library may definitely break the upper level
binaries. Either the projects or the multiple versions of a specific
project may require different versions of the same dependencies that should
also be pointed out somewhere.

We (with Jürgen and Paolo) have also been talking about whether to use a
freeware compiler edition (like Visual Studio 2010 Express) which doesn't
seem to contain x64 support unless a proper Windows SDK is installed or we
make our life less painful to let OSGeo to purchase one license of the full
version of MSVC 2010 to be installed on the VM. Furthermore  we should also
evaluate all projects (to be supported by OSGeo) regarding to their need of
the compilers/environments for both x86/x64 which should also be installed
on the VM.

One other decision should also be made about the suggested scripting
environment to be used for automating the compilation, whether to use
nmake/batch file/bash whatever and how the compilation process itself will
be organized. I'm not sure I can enumerate all possible aspects but we
would require quite some negotiation, and to test what works and what not
(for each project).
We may also require to tweak / modify the external libraries (adding
makefiles of fixing issues) which should also be tracked somewhere.

Most projects may have scripting interfaces using further dependecies
required for the compilation like SWIG/Java/Python/C#. Which Java SDK or
SWIG version should be used, which Python version(s) should be supported?

Is that the responsibility of the projects to provide their scripts to
control the compilation of their binaries at OSGeo4w. Would that be a
requirement to add their OSGeo4w build/install controller scripts along
with their sources?

Some projects may not support MSVC builds do they require a completely
different framework (ie. msys/mingw) which can or cannot work along with
the MSVC based dependencies or we force the project to author their nmake
or cmake based makefiles as a prerequisite to be included in OSGeo4w?

We should also make sure whether the licensing model of a project (or
dependency) allows or denies the inclusion of that in OSGeo4w.

And so on.... (anyone is welcomed to add further experiences or ideas)

Best regards,

Tamas