[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Sep 25 07:52:57 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 25. Sep 2013 at 06:43:21 -0700, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I have initiated an RFC for a project management committee for OSGeo4W.

Thanks.

> I'd encourage everyone interested in participating to joint the osgeo4w-dev
> mailing list and to continue detailed discussion there.

> I think this list (osgeo-discuss) is a great place to discuss linkages
> between different packaging efforts.

Probably,  I just subscribed here.  So I missed the initial discussion
(although meanwhile read up in the archive).

On Wed, 25. Sep 2013 at 09:54:11 -0400, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> That being said I am not convinced that a single PSC overseeing all  binary
> distros could be very efficient. OSGeo4W, UbuntuGIS, OSGeo-Live,  etc, all
> have some commonalities, but also some big differences in the  end product
> due to the nature of the platform that they target. Separate  PSCs/teams
> focused on each platform seem more natural to me, even if  some devs end up
> participating on multiple teams, but I'd be happy to be  proven wrong of
> course.

I also expect separate projects to work better - packaging is probably more
about the differences of platforms than their commonalities.  But as I'm doing
the debian (and in turn ubuntugis) and the OSGeo4W packaging of QGIS, I'm
probably a bad example for that point.

I also believe coordination could become a problem, if we try to get everything
under one umbrella.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
QGIS PSC member (RM)                                   IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden