[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeoLive 8.0 status: UAT (beta1)

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 04:47:57 PDT 2014

Greetings all,

Today we are releasing the first (and probably last) beta of OSGeoLive 8.0.

In this OSGeo-Live 8.0 development cycle we have seen major upgrades:
* We moved to the light weight Lubuntu distribution,
* We moved to a new Long Time Support release (14.04 LTS)
* We tried to make use of Debian packaging for even more applications.

It should be our best distribution yet. But this has impacted our
schedule, as the Ubuntu LTS has only become stable within the last 2
weeks (14.04.1 release), and we need help in order to deliver OSGeo-Live
to FOSS4G-PDX [0] with our usual high level of quality and reliability.

In particular, we need help:

1. Testing to verify everything works in this new system and fixing
bugs. Download beta1 here: [1][2].
2. Updating version numbers in your Project Overview (if changed), and
possibly mention a new feature or two [3].
3. Re-running the Quickstart and ensure each step is still valid, and
that screenshots match the implementation.
4. Updating status of the Project Overview and Quickstart to "8.0draft"
in our status sheet. [4]
5. Reporting any findings in our Trac instance [5]

Due to our tight timelines, we might need to hide applications which we
can't get stablised, tested, or docs updated in time. Please check our
current list of open issues [5] to verify that your project is working
as expected.

Major Issues

* MapFish: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1357
* Tilemill: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1348

Schedule

  * 03 August 2014 Beta 1 released - Start taking screen shots with new
    background.
  * 08 August 2014 Community Testing Sprint (UAT).
  * 10 August 2014 Translations complete.
  * 11 August 2014 RC1 release.
  * 17 August 2014 OSGeo-Live 8.0 sent to the printers.

OSGeoLive needs you! [6]

The OSGeoLive development team.

[0] http://2014.foss4g.org/
[1] http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/8.0/osgeo-live-mini-8.0beta1-i386.iso