[OSGeo-Discuss] Using ArcGIS Desktop with PostGIS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 00:29:23 PDT 2014

Hi Bruce

I've done fairly  extensive research as this is a very common situation.
The landscape is quite fluid though.

There are a few third party extensions out there but I haven't had much
luck with them in a read-write production environment.

Native read support of PostGIS from ArcGIS desktop has been available
for a few versions now. The clincher is write support. For that you need
to pay up and as a minimum get ArcGIS Editor (now called Standard).
ArcGIS ArcView (now called Basic) won't get you write access. And you
can't get around it with WFS-T either.

So in a nutshell, to write to native PostGIS via a database connection
or WFS-T you need either ArcGIS Standard ('Editor') or Enterprise
('ArcInfo') or ArcGIS Server (set up to use native PostGIS geometry).

Gavin

On 11/07/2014 06:56, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any experience using PostGIS as a vector spatial data
> source with ArcGIS Desktop as a client?
>
> I'm particularly interested in our ArcGIS Desktop users being able to
> create, update and delete spatial data managed within a PostGIS
> environment, without the use of ArcSDE or similar middle wear.
>
> Would you be interested in sharing any experiences that you've had
> from implementation to operational use?
>

> We have a mixed spatial environment with both ArcGIS Desktop and open
> source Desktop GIS applications as client tools.
>
> Provided that we can arrive at a good robust solution, I'd like to
> move our ArcGIS Desktop clients away from ArcSDE, and consolidate our
> vector spatial database environment on Postgres / PostGIS.
>
> Bruce

Gavin Fleming
t: 0218620670
w: 0218630660