[OSGeo-Discuss] Using ArcGIS Desktop with PostGIS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Jul 11 02:23:32 PDT 2014

Hi Gavin and Bruce,

To add to what Gavin said, we recently did a piece of work assessing how to
use PostGIS as a back end for ArcGIS and as well as the fairly major
constraint around writing to the database we also found issues with
case-sensitivity- all database objects (tables, schemas etc)  need to be
lower-case for ArcGIS to see them, and you will need to use different
connection methods (query layers) to view data in tables with null values
in them.

Jo

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Gavin Fleming <gavinjfleming at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Bruce
>
> I've done fairly  extensive research as this is a very common situation.
> The landscape is quite fluid though.
>
> There are a few third party extensions out there but I haven't had much
> luck with them in a read-write production environment.
>
> Native read support of PostGIS from ArcGIS desktop has been available for
> a few versions now. The clincher is write support. For that you need to pay
> up and as a minimum get ArcGIS Editor (now called Standard). ArcGIS ArcView
> (now called Basic) won't get you write access. And you can't get around it
> with WFS-T either.
>
> So in a nutshell, to write to native PostGIS via a database connection or
> WFS-T you need either ArcGIS Standard ('Editor') or Enterprise ('ArcInfo')
> or ArcGIS Server (set up to use native PostGIS geometry).
>
> Gavin
>

> On 11/07/2014 06:56, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>  Does anyone have any experience using PostGIS as a vector spatial data
> source with ArcGIS Desktop as a client?
>
>  I’m particularly interested in our ArcGIS Desktop users being able to
> create, update and delete spatial data managed within a PostGIS
> environment, without the use of ArcSDE or similar middle wear.
>
>  Would you be interested in sharing any experiences that you’ve had from
> implementation to operational use?
>

>  We have a mixed spatial environment with both ArcGIS Desktop and open
> source Desktop GIS applications as client tools.
>
>  Provided that we can arrive at a good robust solution, I’d like to move
> our ArcGIS Desktop clients away from ArcSDE, and consolidate our vector
> spatial database environment on Postgres / PostGIS.
>
>  Bruce

> Gavin Fleming
> t: 0218620670
> w: 0218630660
> c: 0845965680
> f: 0866164820
> Paarl
> South Africa
> 18°59'19.6"E 33°44'46.1"S

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.