[OSGeo-Discuss] Gender bias in nominations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:20:04 PDT 2014

For those interested in gender bias, you might want to look at this
"Like a girl" campaign, which questions the meaning that "Like a girl"
has in our language, and suggests redefining it.

http://m.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/parenting-and-families/the-advertising-campaign-that-will-make-you-proud-to-run-like-a-girl-20140627-3ax9w.html?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=june&eid=socialn:fac-13omn1676-edtrl-other:nnn-17/02/2014-edtrs_socialshare-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o

On 25/07/2014 12:59 am, Jo Cook wrote:
> I totally agree with Maria. As a female member of OSGeo I don't really
> feel that my gender matters in the slightest. I'm far more concerned
> about a bias towards people from the US or Northern/Western Europe if
> we are trying to be truly global.
>
> Jo
>

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM, María Arias de Reyna
> <delawen+osgeo at gmail.com <mailto:delawen+osgeo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Jeff McKenna
>     <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
>     <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>> wrote:
>
>         It has been reported to me directly that there are not enough
>         female
>         nominations for Charter members.  I just want to bring this to the
>         attention of the whole community.
>
>         Thanks all,
>
>         -jeff
>

>     Agreed.
>
>     On the other hand, no one should be nominated just because of
>     their gender. In the long run, it doesn't help increasing female
>     numbers. (It won't be the first time someone thinks I am where I
>     am just because I am female and not because I worked hard.)
>
>     I'm sorry if I am bothering someone, but I am very picky with all
>     this stuff. It is the eternal discussion about not having enough
>     female in tech organizations. If we want to have more female on
>     OsGeo, we should go to school now to have them in OsGeo in a few
>     years :)
>
>     Until then, does it really matter? Are we doing things different?
>     I know it looks very cool to have half and half but, is it really
>     important?
>
>     Regards,
>     María.

> *Jo Cook*
> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
> KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 7930 524 155
> iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
> <http://www.isharemaps.com/>

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft