[OSGeo-Discuss] Gender bias in nominations

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Jul 24 22:30:21 PDT 2014

Reclaiming "Like a girl" to no longer be an insult highlights that
language is an important part of our interactions.

While on campaigns, here are another two specifically on tech and
gender, both with major corporate backing [0][1].

Circling back to OSGeo Charter Member nominations, Jeff received a
report that there are not enough female nominees.  The most direct way
to address this is to think of the people you know and interact with,
if some of those people are women and have the positive attributes [2]
in the recommended membership selection criteria, nominate them or
bring that person's contributions and positive attributes to the
attention of someone else who can nominate them.  You can run through
a mental list of who you think already is or should be a Charter
Member and then see if it is true [3] and then nominate them.  You can
do this whether you think that there are enough female nominees or
not.  You can also use this process for men.

While commenting on nominations, I'll share that the best nominations
provided a relevant summary and support it with some links.
Nominations in this form make it easy to evaluate and determine that
the nominee has the positive attributes sought in Charter Members [2].

Best regards, Eli

[0] http://www.verizon.com/powerfulanswers/inspirehermind/
[1] https://www.madewithcode.com/
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes