[OSGeo-Discuss] Seoul (South Korea) selected to host the 2015 international conference for "Free & Open Source Software for Geospatial" (FOSS4G)

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Wed Jun 4 14:05:56 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Just like the announcement below, international FOSS4G 2015 will take place in Seoul, South Korea.

Venue : COEX[0], Seoul, South Korea
Date : 14th ~ 19th, Sep, 2015.

As chair of the LOC, I feel honored and excited about organizing international FOSS4G 2015 in Seoul for the first time in Asia.

There are lots of reasons you should come to Seoul next year not limited to below.

First, you can meet differences. FOSS4G 2015 will be the first time event outside of Roman alphabet world. You may meet different language, culture, character and foods. These differences will inspire your imagination and creativity. Cultural diversities in OSGeo will eventually enrich the OSGeo structure and pipe the new fresh energy to OSGeo.

Second, you can see many business opportunities there in Asia. Asia will be the next big market to open source GIS professionals, users, and companies. For example, Korean government has just started new open source GIS R&D project with a budget of USD 9.6M. And the market size of Asian economies already overwhelmed that of E.U. and U.S.A. and we’ve watched many emerging and vibrant FOSS4G activities in Asia. However this market is still untapped in terms of open source GIS. For this, we have a plan to organize ‘FOSS4G Asia Special Session'

Third, you can expect one-shot-two-kill by attending FOSS4G 2015 Seoul. FOSS4G 2015 Seoul will be held in conjunction with Smart Geo Expo[1] at the same venue from 21st to 23rd, Sep. Smart Geo Expo is one of the largest international geospatial event in Asia. Last year, more than 80 companies & institutions including Samsung Electronics, Google, Sokkia, Trimble, Topcon, ESRI Korea, Leica exhibited their products there in Smart Geo Expo. And more than 10,000 people visited exhibition booth and attended several seminars & conferences. International High-level(usually minister level) meeting is usually there. The awesome thing is that Smart Geo Expo is total FREE!

For the success of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul, we definitely need your help & support. I would like to ask something to you.

At first, please share this info with others around you and create buzz!!

Second, if you have any awesome idea to make FOSS4G 2015 Seoul an awesome one, don’t hesitate to contact me or the LOC. We created a dedicated list for the FOSS4G 2015 - foss4g2015 at lists.osgeo.org and you can join this list through here [2].

Lastly please save and earmark some money for FOSS4G 2015 Seoul.

You will never get disappointed. Hope to see all of you in Seoul next year.

Cheers,

Sanghee

P.S.) I saw the news a few days ago that Gangnam Style got more than 2 billion views at YouTube. Do you know the venue of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul is located at the heart of Gangnam District, the hometown of Gangnam Style. Who knows you can come across Psy around venue next year? Ha.

[0] http://www.coex.co.kr/eng/index.asp
[1] http://smartgeoexpo.kr/eng/main

---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

전달된 메시지 시작: