[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Jun 17 09:43:13 PDT 2014

Hi List,

Regarding the new proposal for voting in charter members- it's slightly off
topic, but I doubt all existing Local Chapter representatives have been
voted in by at least 3 charter members. That sets the bar quite high for
new chapters as well- under the new regime if they have no existing chapter
members it might not be possible for them to a) elect a chapter
representative and b) get them elected as a charter member. Maybe I've
misunderstood this part of the new rules?

Jo

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Jorge Sanz <jsanz at osgeo.org> wrote:

>>  Within 2 weeks we intend to start our annual process for selecting new
>> OSGeo charter members.
>>
>> In previous years the Charter Member selection process has been a little
>> contentious. We typically receive numerous nominations from high caliber
>> members of our community, and insufficient positions to accept them all.
>> This typically results in unnecessary disappointment and dissent.
>>
>> In response, the OSGeo board has agreed to trial tweaking the voting
>> process. The aim is to automatically accept recognised OSGeo community
>> leaders, while continuing with our existing process which attracts the many
>> valuable community members who contribute in other ways. Community comments
>> are encouraged, and will be considered over the next week.
>>

> No comments yet on this proposal on changing the Charter Members election
> procedure, everything is OK?
>

> --
> Jorge Sanz
> http://www.osgeo.org
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jorge_Sanz

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.

--
 <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/2014-enterprise-gis-roadshows/>