[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 17 11:18:49 PDT 2014

That's on topic, actually I think that is the topic.

I agree that it's a little odd. I can actually see cases where someone
may be on a PSC but not because 3 charter members voted for them (could
even have voted against them).

I suspect in the case of Local chapters the idea was that several
members of the Chapter would already be Charter members selected in
previous years from the general pool of nominations. So once a Chapter
gets enough charter members it becomes easier for them to ask for their
local leaders to get added. This does not prohibit a chapter liaison
from getting nominated or elected, it just means it isn't an automatic
approval. The idea here is if your chapter has 3+ Charter Members, and
your Chapter Liaison gets nominated, there is no need for all the
Charter Members to vote on that person.

So while I like the idea of a way to auto-accept some candidates I'm not
sure this proposal has the intended result.

The goals are:
1. Don't deny charter membership to well known good candidates (we can't
always just let in all nominees, that's unsustainable)
2. Streamline the election process
3. Prevent gaming of the system by an outside organization or bad actors

Maybe something along the lines of well known community participants who
are nominated and vouched for by X number of chart members get
auto-approved. By vouch, I mean that a charter member actually knows the
person, and has seen proof 1st hand of their contributions to the
community and commitment to our community principles likely from having
worked with them. This is different than voting in a way, since not all
charter members would need to research all candidates and a lack of vote
would have some meaning.

Course, I can think of ways to game all of these ideas.

Thanks,
Alex