[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jun 17 12:22:43 PDT 2014

I like the idea of the new Charter Membership rules.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Regarding the new proposal for voting in charter members- it's slightly
> off topic, but I doubt all existing Local Chapter representatives have been
> voted in by at least 3 charter members. That sets the bar quite high for
> new chapters as well- under the new regime if they have no existing chapter
> members it might not be possible for them to a) elect a chapter
> representative and b) get them elected as a charter member. Maybe I've
> misunderstood this part of the new rules?

I think that a) is still possible.  The Local Chapter can do what they want
regarding their internal workings.  I agree that b) could be impossible in
the scenario you describe.

Local Chapters are approved by the Board including a representative who
then becomes an Officer of OSGeo.[0]  Graduated OSGeo projects are approved
by both the Incubation Committee and the Board.  I think in these cases
where the Chapter/Project has already been approved by the Board, removing
the requirement "where the voting community includes at least *3* OSGeo
charter members" is reasonable.  Jo, do you think that the "where the
voting community includes at least *3* OSGeo charter members"requirement
should be removed for Official Local Chapters and Graduated OSGeo Projects?

You might want to clarify how the Charter Membership is tied to the elected
position.  Let's say I volunteer to chair the Web Committee now, then
become a Charter Member, then quit the Web Committee and someone else takes
it over.  Am I still a Charter Member?  Is the person who takes it over?  I
think that Charter Membership is lifetime unless you repeatedly  don't vote
or ask to not be a Charter Member, so that might address the first
question.  For the second question about the person who takes over
chairing, would it wait until the next Charter membership election for it
to become effective?  Same scenario with Local Chapter Representatives.

Once these changes are approved, this page should perhaps be updated,
http://www.osgeo.org/membership

Eli

[0] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Local_Chapter_Guidelines#Chapter_Formation