[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 17 12:48:33 PDT 2014

On 06/17/2014 12:22 PM, Eli Adam wrote:
> I like the idea of the new Charter Membership rules.
>

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Regarding the new proposal for voting in charter members- it's slightly
>> off topic, but I doubt all existing Local Chapter representatives have been
>> voted in by at least 3 charter members. That sets the bar quite high for
>> new chapters as well- under the new regime if they have no existing chapter
>> members it might not be possible for them to a) elect a chapter
>> representative and b) get them elected as a charter member. Maybe I've
>> misunderstood this part of the new rules?
>>

> I think that a) is still possible.  The Local Chapter can do what they want
> regarding their internal workings.  I agree that b) could be impossible in
> the scenario you describe.
>
> Local Chapters are approved by the Board including a representative who
> then becomes an Officer of OSGeo.[0]  Graduated OSGeo projects are approved
> by both the Incubation Committee and the Board.  I think in these cases
> where the Chapter/Project has already been approved by the Board, removing
> the requirement "where the voting community includes at least *3* OSGeo
> charter members" is reasonable.  Jo, do you think that the "where the
> voting community includes at least *3* OSGeo charter members"requirement
> should be removed for Official Local Chapters and Graduated OSGeo Projects?

You are right, Local chapter liaisons probably don't need the specific
3. I find this whole thing odd because in California we gave the liaison
position to whoever was willing to do it, not exactly an election...
course we wouldn't want a local chapter to just keep switching liaison
to get more charter members so they have enough vote to get a board
member of their choosing... If we follow the only adding once a year -
it should take too many years for this strategy to be worthwhile. More
below.

> You might want to clarify how the Charter Membership is tied to the elected
> position.  Let's say I volunteer to chair the Web Committee now, then
> become a Charter Member, then quit the Web Committee and someone else takes
> it over.  Am I still a Charter Member?  Is the person who takes it over?  I
> think that Charter Membership is lifetime unless you repeatedly  don't vote
> or ask to not be a Charter Member, so that might address the first
> question.  For the second question about the person who takes over
> chairing, would it wait until the next Charter membership election for it
> to become effective?  Same scenario with Local Chapter Representatives.

It's not tied together. You do not need to be a Charter member to be the
chair or member of a committee. The only time you need Charter
membership is to serve on the Board or vote for the Board or vote for
new Charter members. You are correct once a Charter member you stay one
unless you remove yourself - or as discussed in previous years (I can't
recall if it's a proposal or rule) if you fail to vote often enough.

Charter members are only added once a year, that is unlikely to change.
This ensures that they are added at a somewhat measured pace.

> Once these changes are approved, this page should perhaps be updated,
> http://www.osgeo.org/membership
>
> Eli

Is the board going to vote on this proposal or all charter members?

Thanks,
Alex