[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:19:06 PDT 2014

Thanks all for the feedback.
One thing that you have made me realise is that the text was potentially
unclear as to whether a person is eligible as a recognised community
leader if they previously, but not currently hold a role as a PSC member
(or similar). The intent is they should be eligible.

Re: "3 charter members" to vote. This was introduced to make it harder
to rig the system. I expect that most established OSGeo communities will
have 3 charter members. If not, people can still apply for charter
member status under our previous voting process.
I agree that PSC membership for graduated OSGeo projects should suffice
for validating that a candidate has contributed significantly to OSGeo,
and as such should be considered automatically for OSGeo Charter status.
*
*I've updated text to reflect comments:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process_2014#Positions_for_recognised_OSGeo_Community_Leaders

/Recognised OSGeo Community Leaders are defined as people who have been
'''voted''' into a position of authority within official OSGeo projects
and committees. *(This may refer to a current or previously held
position).*//
//
//Acceptable roles are currently limited to://
//
//* Project Steering Committee member of a Graduated OSGeo Project//
//* Chair of Official Local Chapter, *where the voting community
includes at least '''3''' OSGeo charter members*//
//* Chair of an OSGeo committee, *where the voting community includes at
least '''3''' OSGeo charter members*/*/
/*

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager