[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Mon Jun 23 15:45:29 PDT 2014

Alex,

As a former nominee who was not accepted as a Foundation Member via the voting process, I have a somewhat biased view, particularly when I see that my first nomination did not even make it onto the wiki page used for the vote.

I personally do not see what the class of member is really for.

I still contribute regularly to the OSGeo, e.g. as a member of the Incubation Committee mentoring the Rasdaman Project. This has kept me occupied for a number of years now. So not being voted in has not stopped my contribution.

My view is that we just go for paid membership, provided that the funding is used for the International community benefit. I don't agree that the funding should be filtered through regional groups as that just dilutes the funding for no real gain.

Bruce