[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sat Jun 28 02:20:41 PDT 2014

Bruce, you have been contributing to OSGeo for so long, and it is a big
oversight that you are not a Charter member.  I have admired your
professionalism for a long time.  In fact I can see you as a future
Board member of OSGeo.

I do want to use Charter member input more for the foundation decisions.
 I sense lately that change is in order, but as we can see change takes
time, as we have those original bylaws that are in writing.  We also
have a few quiet committees that need energy and passion, and as we see
in this thread we do not lack passion at all.

I admire Cameron's energy for driving change to the selection process,
not an easy thing to champion.

Membership fees is a difficult subject as well.  A small fee does make
sense, very small, I am in support of that.  As it stands now I never
know how to answer as the president 'how many members does OSGeo have?',
of course I have all the stats of wiki users, osgeo.org users, mailing
list subscribers, but I never truly know who really considers themselves
a member.  To me it is more about a feeling, of being a part of a
professional association, able to contact and connect members, and very
little or nothing to do with revenue generated from fees.  I also
imagine FOSS4G event discounts for members.  Yes it bites into our
revenue for the foundation, but to me that is worth it.

I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Unfortunately it's been a very busy few weeks for me so I've been a
little quiet publicly, but trust me I have been working hard for OSGeo
behind the scenes.  I am now in Cape Town where I'll be a keynote
shortly at the AfricaGeo event, representing OSGeo and you all.  I'm
right now sitting at Gavin Fleming's dining room table catching up :)

Talk soon everyone,

-jeff