[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Jun 23 23:57:29 PDT 2014

On 06/23/2014 09:33 PM, b.j.kobben at utwente.nl wrote:
> I am very dissapointed in this whole membership/fees discussion.
> In reading the emails one does not see the international volunteer
> community I would like to think OSGEO is (should be), but it rather
> seems we are dealing with a US-based professional organisation,
> mostly keen on not paying US taxes, and that is not what I want
> OSGEO to become...

Hey Barend,
if it makes you feel any better - I can still see the volunteer driven
OSGeo and have no intention to drop out just because there are ideas
to move to a more consistent way of mapping members. I have been CRO
in two consecutive years and cannot see any advantage in sticking with
the non-system we have had so far. Instead, my hopes are that a fee
based membership can broaden the base we are one. It would make so
many things so much easier.

I also believe that we have grown to a size where we do not have to
fear a hostile takeover so that a lot of the self-referencing and
sustaining mechanisms we put in place to start with are not required
any more.

It would be a pity if others and especially existing OSGeo Charter
Members would feel negatively about the proposed suggestions so I beg
you all to voice your concerns now. And we should make sure that we
pass any changes of this format by the existing Charter Members and
make sure there is a fat majority of support for it. Otherwise we
would betray our principles which is exactly what we tried to prevent
with the existing system in place.

Have fun,
Arnulf