[OSGeo-Discuss] Voting process (Re: OSGeo Membership and/or upcoming elections)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri May 16 05:19:14 PDT 2014

Hi Jorge,

I Google'd for online voting services and had a look at the first hit:
https://www.simplyvoting.com/

For our 181 members, it would cost 200$UDS for a single election or
334USD for a yearly plan (up to 10 elections per year).

The benefits are that it seems very simple, includes reporting, and
secure in that it solves the problem of keeping the individual votes secret.

I'm sure there must be others, so we could shop a bit, but for that
price, I don't think that's worth spending time tweaking a survey
software to fit our needs or even trying to host our own.

My 0.02$

Daniel

On 14-05-16 6:29 AM, Jorge Sanz wrote:

> <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>>:
>
>     Also note that I've already planned to discuss elections at the next
>     Board meeting next week
>     (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-05-15)...this likely
>     woke up the Seven-borg :)
>

>     -jeff
>

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday we had the board meeting (logs[1], minutes this evening) and I
> volunteered for the CRO role this year, with the kind help of Jeff
> McKenna, Cameron Shorter and likely our secretary Jachym Cepicky.
>
> I would try to go on the automated votes process[2] as with 181 charter
> members, manual e-mail voting seems so time consuming. With the limited
> resources (mostly time) I'm afraid developing our own voting system is
> not so convenient and I would prefer to use a service or install
> something that is already working.
>
> I know the guys after Opina[3], a JEE survey software that could be used
> as a voting system, or just use their on-demand service that is free and
> seems to work fine[4]. We could import the charter members list (as CSV)
> and send a personalized link, so members can vote on the system on the
> allowed dates.
>
> What do you think? Any other ideas or experiences on how to gather
> almost 200 people votes fulfilling our requirements?
>
> Best
>
> [1] http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2014-05-15.log
> [2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Electronic_Voting
> [3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/opina/