[OSGeo-Discuss] Voting process (Re: OSGeo Membership and/or upcoming elections)

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Fri May 16 06:16:55 PDT 2014

> Hi Jorge,
>
> I Google'd for online voting services and had a look at the first hit:
> https://www.simplyvoting.com/
>
> For our 181 members, it would cost 200$UDS for a single election or 334USD
> for a yearly plan (up to 10 elections per year).
>
> The benefits are that it seems very simple, includes reporting, and secure
> in that it solves the problem of keeping the individual votes secret.

Thanks Daniel, I'll check it.

Opina would allow secret voting (with personalized links for every member
from an invitation mail automatically sent by the system). The only problem
is our way of voting with "I have 5 votes that can use all with the same
candidate", but that can be skipped easily.

> I'm sure there must be others, so we could shop a bit, but for that price,
> I don't think that's worth spending time tweaking a survey software to fit
> our needs or even trying to host our own.

Yes, that was my impression also. SurveyMonkey is 25$/month or so and a
well known solution, very similar to Opina.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org