[OSGeo-Discuss] Short codes for locations

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 14:00:23 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> This sounds very much like the Natural Area Coding (NAC) system:
>
> http://www.nacgeo.com/
>
> Interesting idea in theory, but in practice this has been around for
> over a decade and hasn't really taken off, quite likely because an
> alphanumerical code is not of much more use than pure geographic
> coordinates.
>
> Or maybe it's like the case of "rasters in a database" [1] and this
> concept just needs a strong champion to sell us the idea and convince
> the world that we need it?

 Or possibly because of non-open licensing terms?

http://www.nacgeo.com/nacsite/licensing/

 I think I have seen some web services teaming up with What3Words which
does a similar thing except translates coords to a word triple via a
proprietary, secret, server-based algorithm. Its cutesy nature ("I live at
monkey sponge gearstick") seems to appeal to many since it makes memorable
locations.

Anyhooo...