[OSGeo-Discuss] Short codes for locations

Doug Rinckes drinckes at google.com
Fri Oct 31 05:14:39 PDT 2014

Thanks for that document, Serena. Based on a quick scan, it seems to be
aimed towards areas that already have an addressing system or are in the
process of defining one. In contrast, I want to provide a solution for
those people in locations that don't have addresses, and may not even be
mapped.

One solution is to map and assign addresses, but this takes time, money,
and in some cases may not be politically desirable. For example, civil
authorities may not want to map squatter camps or informal settlements
because they feel it legitimises the settlement.

But that doesn't mean that those people shouldn't be able to tell someone
where they are. My aim is to try to provide a location code that will work
immediately, everywhere. Places with formal addresses won't have a need for
such codes. For example, I live in Switzerland and it's unlikely to be
useful here, with a few, mostly leisure based exceptions. But people living
in say Kibera in Nairobi or Dharavi in Mumbai may find a code that gives an
exact location a useful tool until formal street addresses are assigned and
in widespread use.

I'm not trying to obsolete street addresses, but provide an option that
works until street addresses come along.

Doug