[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Sun Sep 14 08:07:53 PDT 2014

Dear Jachym, Everyone

Just a few quite thoughts.

I encourage anyone who has concerns, or fears anything resembling a
take-over to please speak up on the list, off-list with any other person
from OSGeo & me, or even just me in private. We, people involved with
both OSGeo & LocationTech, have been talking for roughly 2 years. I
don't think everyone is fully aware of the fact that at each step
collaboration was possible, we approached the OSGeo board & other
leaders in the community discretely to talk about it and once there was
a rough plan, followed-through publicly such as bidding on FOSS4G 2014,
organizing FOSS4G NA 2015. I can't think of anything that was done
improperly. We're very open to feedback in public or private about this.

The team organizing & assembling the program for FOSS4G NA 2015 is a
team of 11 people volunteering from the community. These are people well
known to OSGeo and many have participated in past FOSS4G teams. They are
freed up from the burden of the logistics of organizing the conference
by Anne Jacko's team at the Eclipse Foundation who organizes conferences
for a living. I believe that there will be more "control" in such a
circumstance. For what it's worth, when discussing with the OSGeo board
yesterday we noticed obvious signs of this like much more prominent
mention of OSGeo & OSGeo's logo on the FOSS4G NA web site. Also, FOSS4G
NA 2015 speakers will get free passes. We hope this is seen as a nice
positive step forward.

Kind regards,

Andrew