[OSGeo-Discuss] Discussion on statement : avoiding slang. Was: Drafting a Diversity statement for the foundation (call for input)

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Apr 2 23:38:56 PDT 2015

> With so many variants on the CoC/Diversity Statement, it would be great if a
> international standard could be created, such as done for Open Source
> Licenses.

I think that there are a few CoC consolidation efforts like that
currently, here is one [4] and another [5] that reference the first.
I can't find all the links right now but recall them from the past.
There was some OSM work to make one specific to mailing lists [6].
Here are a handful of additional CoCs too [7], [8], [9], [10].

CoC is inherently different than licenses.  Licenses have
compatibility issues and there are strong forces which promote
well-known compatible licenses.  Various companies have lawyers review
licenses for compatibility too.  There is no concept of compatibility
in CoC, nor are diverse legal resources dedicated to it.  So CoC is a
realm (unlike licenses) where everyone can have their just slightly
different CoC without causing incompatibility.  Despite the
variability, all strive to promote a safe, productive, functioning
community for all.

Eli

[4] http://citizencodeofconduct.org/
[5] http://www.rust-lang.org/conduct.html