[OSGeo-Discuss] r100 as OpenStandard: start in Nepal?

Munich Orientation Convention volksnav at volksnav.de
Wed Apr 29 01:14:17 PDT 2015

Dear all,

a member of OSGeo was the opinion, not only r100 should be OpenStandard. The
following answer may be of interest:

The actual question is: is r100 an useful tool or not? If not, the
discussion can end here.

If yes (also considering the needs of average people, the blind, children,
ancients etc. ), anyone can use it for free. Example Nepal
www.volksnav.de/r100Nepal.

But what can happen? According to my experience, a lot of experts will try
to "improve" this tool with another colors, another dimensions, another
names, even another shapes :-). Strong arguments like "never change a
winning team" and "ten thousand experts can't be wrong", can deteriorate
r100 to green squares with 50 different names around other urban poles I've
defined after many years of hard work.

In this very special case, cost free tools could be counterproductive. What
costs little is worth less. What costs nothing looks like actual post codes
(who still needs them?). The solution I see to avoid another Babel tower is:
symbolical fees. Can you imagine arguments against this regulation tool?

Let's see an example: are you as a possible visitor the opinion that
FOSS4G2015 shouldn't introduce additional indoor and urban orientation tools
for you than "here"  <http://2015.foss4g.org/> http://2015.foss4g.org/ (see
map below) because of a fee of EUR 2,-?

Henrique