[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GNA - Someone is watching you :-o

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Dec 16 00:14:11 PST 2015

Dear Gert-Jan, dear all,
sorry if capitals hurts you.... I didn't wanted to be too pervasive or
irreverent and disturb you.

The point is that I felt a target of a marketing action, like a superstore
trying to sell their product and invading my privacy.

I don't know if MailChimp is a "standard" for some type of companies but
certainly I don't want it to be for communicating with OSGeo community.

OSGeo community is the resource, the gasoline for OSGeo not a crowd of
customers !!!!

OSGeo and FOSS4G is for the community and should be adherent to the OPEN
(sorry but i want to be loud here) principle and to me this is not only in
the licence you choose.

OPEN to me means also correct, social, transparent, consistent.

How many time I have hear that Google spy you, and Microsoft without
explicitly inform you collect information on your behavior while Linux do
not do this kind of things?

Well, finding that someone send e-mails to OSGeo community without a given
permission to do so and that he tracks their actions without informing them
explicitly, well let me say that I found is a violation of these principle.

Then, this may not be a big problem as this is happening more and more
often. i will smoothly sleep tonight. But don't blame me if my opinion is
this and if I would like to see a different way of approaching the
community.

Maxi

gert-jan at osgeo.nl>:

> First: I took the opportunity to change the subject of this thread to a
> less shouting version (CAPS LOCK and spam live side-by-side on my
> email-irritation-scale)
>

> Second: Funny to see how the use of two different channels (mailing list
> vs. MailChimp) kind of reflect the different approaches to reach the -more
> of less- same goal.
>
> Any expanding organisation / movement / community comes to a point where
> the classical channels (like a mailing list) reach their limits,
>
> and "new" marketing (yuch! marketing==ugly & bad!) channels & methods may
> help to stretch beyond borders. Which comes at a cost (as Maxi tries to
> tell, I guess).
>

> Food for thought for the Board face2face meeting in January (and for the
> entire community) to determine
>
> - what our goals are
>
> - what our values are
>
> - and how these two compare to each other.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Gert-Jan

*Massimiliano Cannata*

massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch