[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GNA - Someone is watching you :-o

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Dec 16 07:20:40 PST 2015

On 2015-12-16 10:00 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> On 2015/12/16 18:37, Pat Tressel wrote:
>> MailChimp is a very popular product. If you have a provable accusation
>> against them -- that they were acting **independently of the account
>> administrator** to alter lists, then that would be significant. As Rob
>> has stated, MailChimp did not do something by itself. The list was
>> aggregated from previous lists and events in which people participated.
>
> I have also received a similar unsolicited mail. I would like to know
> who has authorized
> the aggregation and usage of email address from "previous lists and
> events in which
> people participated". I think every event has a privacy policy and
> e-mail address provided
> are only to be used for communicating about the specific event and not
> for aggregating for
> future use.

For the record, the use of such mailing services for FOSS4G promotion is
not new. Even FOSS4G 2015 (Seoul) used MailChimp in a very similar way,
I still have some of their mails in my archives, and I'm sure other past
events did as well but I didn't bother digging any further.

How can you realistically expect to do outreach to new people if you
only announce your event on osgeo-discuss?

This anti-anything-locationtech-does drama is becoming boring, please
let's get over it.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/