[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GNA - Someone is watching you :-o

Dave Patton dave at patton.org
Wed Dec 16 07:18:27 PST 2015

On 2015/12/16 07:00, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> On 2015/12/16 18:37, Pat Tressel wrote:
>> MailChimp is a very popular product. If you have a provable
>> accusation against them -- that they were acting **independently of
>> the account administrator** to alter lists, then that would be
>> significant. As Rob has stated, MailChimp did not do something by
>> itself. The list was aggregated from previous lists and events in
>> which people participated.
>
> I have also received a similar unsolicited mail. I would like to know
>  who has authorized the aggregation and usage of email address from
> "previous lists and events in which people participated". I think
> every event has a privacy policy and e-mail address provided are only
> to be used for communicating about the specific event and not for
> aggregating for future use.

I too received the unsolicited email.

Presumably it was because I was involved with
the organization of FOSS4G2007.

I have already used the (tracked) Unsubscribe link,
and provided the feedback option that I unsubscribed
because I never opted in.

My suggestions:
1)
It may need to be clarified, or explicitly stated
(e.g. anywhere OSGeo/FOSS4g-related that collects
an email address), but I would suggest that it is
acceptable to utilize "collected email addresses"
for "1-time announcement" emails.

2)
When sending a "1-time announcement" email:
- do not utilize any form of "tracking"
- make it clear that this is a "1-time" email
   (i.e. in this case, for FOSS4GNA)
- provide multiple methods in the email (such
   as links and a "reply with xxxx in the subject"
   email mechanism) so that the recipient can
   "opt in"
- provide a clear (untracked) method so that the
   recipient can "opt out" of any further "1-time"
   emails (i.e. in this case, for FOSS4GNA)

--
Dave Patton
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project: