[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GNA - Someone is watching you :-o

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Dec 17 09:26:36 PST 2015

Hi,

I wanted to share some thoughts, because I don't want that Maxi's
concerns are buried under lots +1's, that "we are just doing our best
for a successful FOSS4G". Maybe Maxi's initial email was a bit strong
and contained the  "LocationTech" keyword ;-)
I don't think anyone (and for sure not Maxi) wants FOSS4G or OSGeo not
to be successful, and nobody is against marketing.

However doing something with good intent doesn't mean, that it's right,
right?
If there is a privacy policy, we need to respect it and handle personal
data (like email addresses) accordingly. If there is no privacy policy,
we probably should have one, because there are at least a few countries
I know, where not being able to opt-out or receiving unwanted emails can
become a legal issue quickly (and cost money).

I remember a few months ago the discussion about Code of Conduct, where
some people thought, we don't need that, because we're well-educated and
friendly people, respecting each other, etc.. A code of conduct wasn't
something I cared about that time, because maybe it's not common in
countries where I live. But I learned, that it's an important document
for North American countries. And I think the privacy topic is a widely
discussed issue in European countries, and we have some lessons learned
about services/organizations trying to track us.
So that's maybe the reason, why some are not so happy to click an
encrypted link with tracking ID (and whatever else). While I think you
already get tracked, when you open the email and the transparent image
gets loaded.
Speaking as a Japanese citizen, it's even seen as bad practice here to
sent HTML emails, so almost every commercial email is text only with
beautiful ASCII art and is really hard to look at.

While reading this thread I had the following questions actually:
- Is the collected database of email addresses available on request for
every local chapter?
- If a local chapter passes it to some third party organization (in this
case LocationTech, but replace it with any other name), what happens
with these addresses later? Are they now merged with the "LocationTech
Tour" database or the whole Eclipse address pool, etc.?
- If I didn't open my email, because I'm not from North America, will I
be removed from the database and future announcements?

I think most email addresses collected from further events were for
registration purpose. There is no way to register without giving OSGeo
an email address.
And even if we won't harm anyone, we didn't ask those people, if they
would like to opt-in for a newsletter-like service.
So I find it somehow OK (gray-zone) to use the existing address
collection for marketing future global FOSS4G events (it's only once a
year), but you need to understand that FOSS4G NA is a regional event,
and that the emails probably haven't been filtered by region. If we
continue this practice, will then every local FOSS4G be able to spread
the word in the name of OSGeo using a collected address list of the past
10 years?

Personally I think, that as a community we can do much better marketing
than using MailChimp.
Maybe it's a good idea to add an opt-in form to FOSS4G registrations,
where people can sign up for event announcements, even with regional
preferences eventually?

Best regards,
Daniel

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan